Saint Pius X Catholic School – Founded 1957 In September 1957, Saint Pius X School opened its doors to 240 pupils in grade s Kindergarten through 5th. Three Benedictine Sisters from Cullman, Alabama staffed the school. In 1958, a sixth grade was added. In 1959, five Sisters of Mercy of Limerick, Ireland, came to replace the Benedictine Sisters who were called back to Cullman.In August 1960, additional construction made twelve classrooms available and a well-equipped air conditioned cafeteria. In September, 2 more Sisters arrived and grades seven and eight were added. In 1961, a two-acre lot was purchased across Sage Avenue for additional Kindergarten facilities.In 1968, two parish rooms were renovated to accommodate the library. Also, two government buildings were obtained from Brookley Air Force Base and remodeled to use as additional first and second grade classrooms. The parish all-purpose building was converted to a school gymnasium/auditorium.Enrollment continued to grow over the next ten years. The rooms that originally served as priests quarters were converted to classrooms and the Kindergarten was moved to the east side of Sage Avenue. A Resource Room and a computer room were also constructed in that area.In August 1989, modular classrooms were built behind the school and the first and second grade classes joined the rest of the school on the east side of Sage. The only class remaining on the West side of Sage Avenue was PreK4, which was started in 1987. In 1992, St. Pius X School was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.In 1993, the Sisters of Mercy were recalled to Ireland after 43 years of teaching at St. Pius X School. Dedicated lay teachers’ now serve the school with Mrs. Lauren Keller Alvarez (a former St. Pius X student) as Principal.In early Spring of 2004, the Mercy Center building – the former convent – was demolished. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for the Jennings – Mercy Middle School Complex on May 23, 2004. On August 28th, Archbishop Lipscomb dedicated the new facility which had opened that school year. At that time, the PreK4 classes moved to the east side of Sage Avenue and the Kindergarten students were moved into larger classrooms. The Resource Program expanded and took over the rooms formerly occupied by the Kindergarten students.In 2008, all bathrooms were updated and work of the renovation of the façade was begun. In 2009, rooms were made available for band, music and art, as well as tutoring. Promethean Boards were installed in several middle school classrooms and in the Media Center. During the 2010 – 2011 academic year, a major renovation of our computer lab was completed, providing our students and faculty access to the latest technology. We hired an IT instructor to work with our middle school students. We held our first Summer Reading Camp. In 2012, the façade renovation was completed. We began using AppleTV interactive technology using Ipads on a trial basis and will expand usage during the current school year. The restrooms in the primary wing of the school were totally renovated. We applied for and were approved to begin our own Junior National Honor Society Chapter, which will be selected during the 2012-2013 academic year.